• Brake is calling for a review of speed limits on rural roads, saying the current limit gives a false impression that 60mph is a safe speed. (6 reader comments)
• The AA has released a new video highlighting the dangers of distracted driving, on the back of a survey suggesting 70% of drivers lose concentration at the wheel. (2 reader comments)
• In the latest RSGB Talk podcast, Nick Rawlings is joined by Road Safety GB’s executive director, Alan Kennedy, who outlines the future for the organisation.
• The Road Safety Trust is inviting applications for funding under its current grant programme theme, ‘innovative traffic calming and provision for vulnerable road users’.
• Drivers who ignore ‘red X’ signs on smart motorways could be automatically handed a £100 fine and three penalty points under new legislation coming into force next month.
• Highways England is using two 70ft-long mobile barrier lorries – originally designed for military use – to keep road workers and motorists safe.
• Highways England is warning drivers to look out for deer – particularly on rural roads and between sunset and midnight, and the hours shortly before and after sunrise.
• Some of Disney’s most famous characters are being used as part of a new campaign to encourage drivers to take more care around schools.
• The number of miles cycled on roads in Great Britain has risen by a third in the last 25 years, new DfT statistics reveal.
• In the second of a series of features looking at the 2019 Young Driver Road Safety Awards’ winners, we profile Arrive Alive by the Lancashire Road Safety Partnership.
• The RAC says extra funding for councils to carry out highway maintenance, alongside a mild winter, has led to an improvement in the quality of UK roads.
Click here to read all news reports
• Alan Kennedy & the future of Road Safety GB • Listen
Alan Hiscox & equestrian road safety • Listen
• THINK! and young drivers • Listen
• Sgt Rob Heard & older drivers • Listen
• The future of the Road Safety GB Academy • Listen
• ‘All things 20mph’ • Listen
CAREERS IN ROAD SAFETY
Got a position to fill? Advertise on the Road Safety GB website for just £250 plus VAT. Find out more
EVENTS BY ROAD SAFETY GB
• Older Road User Conference • London • 24 September 2019 • More
• National Road Safety Conference 2019 • Telford • 12-13 November 2019 • More
• Data Analysts’ Conference 2019 • London • 5 March 2019 • See the presentations
• Young Rider Focus Conference 2019 • Birmingham • 6 March 2019 • See the presentations
• Young Driver Focus Conference 2019 • London • 1 May 2019 • See the presentations